Last Updated on November 20, 2022 by Verna Meachum
You’ve prepped your curls the night before. You made sure they were hydrated and carefully placed in a loose pineapple.
You went to bed with your head wrapped in a silk scarf or bonnet. You even slept on a satin pillowcase.
But, when you wake up in the morning, your once bouncy and beautiful curls have somehow transformed into a flat, lackluster mess.
If this scenario sounds all too familiar, don’t fret. We’ve all been there. The good news is that there are a few easy ways to refresh your curls and give them new life.
Here’s the scoop on how to refresh curls in the morning!
How to Refresh Curls in the Morning without Rewashing it
Curls can lose their shape and definition overnight, but there are a few things you can do to refresh them.
The curl refresh regimen that is most effective for you will be the one that works best for you. Experiment with different techniques to find the one that works best for your curls. Feel free to tweak the order of the steps and even add in your own.
If you need a good foundation to start your regimen from, here we go!
One of the easiest ways to refresh curls in the morning is to:
Method #1 Mist curls with water
- First, shake out your curls.
- Lightly mist your curls with water.
- Don’t oversaturate your hair. Since your curls already has product in it, the water will reactivate the product and help your curls to re-clump.
- Then, use your fingers or a styling tool to gently smooth out your curls and give them shape. If you smooth your hair, it will stretch the style.
- Scrunch your hair with your hands to help enhance your curl pattern. You can add a little bit of gel or mousse to help hold the shape.
- You can speed things up by diffusing your hair or allowing it to air dry.
Method #2 Wet your hair and apply styling product
If you wake up to hair that is dry, you can apply a leave-in conditioner or curl cream.
- Simply wet your hair and apply a small amount of product. This will help to smooth the frizz and give your curls a nice boost of moisture.
- Proceed by smoothing out the curls then scrunch your hair to create a more uniform curl pattern.
- You can add a bit of gel or mousse to help with definition.
- You can also add a touch of serum or oil to help smooth out the hair shaft and give your curls a healthy shine.
- Lastly, fluff it out.
- To achieve voluminous hair, use your fingers to fluff it without raking your fingers through it too much.
Method #3 Scrunch your curls with your pillowcase
After taking your hair out of the pineapple hairstyle:
- Gently shake your curls with your hands.
- This will help to loosen them up and make them more pliable.
- Using your satin pillowcase or bonnet, gently scrunch your curls with your hands, from the tip towards your roots. The satin material will help reduce frizz and keep your curls intact.
- And voila! If you see some frizz or need some extra curl definition, use the shingling method (video tutorial below) by adding a tiny amount of gel or mousse to give it an extra boost.
Method #4 Finger coil
If you’ve lost a lot of definition in your curls overnight, finger coiling is a great way to get them back into shape.
- Start by lighting misting your hair with water.
- If you have any stubborn hairs, apply a pea-sized amount of conditioner to frizz, flyaways, and anywhere else as needed. Gently twirl the hair around your fingers while applying the product.
- Once you have finger coiled your hair, add a small amount of gel or mousse to hold the curls.
- Diffuse or air dry your hair.
- Once your curls are dry, fluff them with your fingers to give them more definition.
Repeat this process every few days as needed
No matter how much product you use or how carefully you style your hair, it always seems to fall flat by the end of the day.
But there’s no need to despair! With a little bit of effort, you can refresh your curls in the morning (or in between washes) and keep them looking gorgeous.
Refreshing your curls in the morning doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With these simple steps, you’ll be able to keep your curls looking beautiful.
Good luck and happy styling!
Have you tried this method to refresh your curls in the morning? I’d love to hear how it works for you.