Last Updated on June 20, 2022 by Verna Meachum
If you’re a vegan, you might be wondering if there are any vegan curly hair products on the market. The good news is that there are plenty of vegan hair care options available nowadays.
You can find vegan shampoo, conditioner, hair masks, and other styling products that will hydrate and protect your hair.
This article will provide an overview of what vegan curly hair products are, including what to look for when shopping for vegan hair care products and some of the best vegan curly hair products available.
We’ll also drop some nuggets for how to easily spot vegan products on the market (or online).
Vegan curly hair products are becoming more and more popular as people become aware of the benefits they offer.
For example, they are free of harsh chemicals and synthetic ingredients that can strip away natural oils and damage hair.
Instead, vegan curly hair products rely on plant-based ingredients to nourish and hydrate hair. This means that they can help to restore moisture levels, strengthen hair, and improve manageability.
So if you’re looking for a way to achieve healthy, beautiful curls without breaking the bank, vegan curly hair products are definitely worth considering.
What are Vegan Curly Hair Products?
Vegan curly hair products are those that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or animal byproducts.
Vegan is also cruelty-free, meaning that the product was not tested on animals during any stage of development.
Many vegan products also avoid using artificial colors, fragrances, and other harsh chemicals that can irritate the scalp or skin.
Shopping for Vegan Curly Hair Products
When shopping for vegan curly hair products, make sure to check the ingredients list to ensure that there are no animal-derived or insect-derived ingredients such as:
- amino acids
- products may also not contain or be sourced from leather, fur, silk, feathers, down, bone, horn, shell, wool, cashmere, shearling, angora, animal skin, suede, or mohair.
- oleic acid
- glycerin not listed as vegetable glycerin
- panthenol (check with the brand as this can be derived from animals, but it’s also derived from plants or can be synthesized)
- stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, caprylic/capric triglyceride (may be vegan but, please check with the manufacturer to find out the source).
Vegan products will be made with plant-derived nutrients and oils that will nourish your hair. They will also be cruelty-free, meaning they have not been tested on animals.
Common vegan hair care ingredients include:
- argan oil
- shea butter
- cupuaçu butter
- aloe vera
- jojoba oil
- avocado oil
- botanical extracts
- hydrolyzed soy protein
- castor seed oil
- sunflower oil
- lavender oil
- hydrolyzed rice protein
- hydrolyzed wheat protein
- hydrolyzed oat protein
- guar gum
- kelp extract
- hydrolyzed quinoa
These ingredients are all incredibly beneficial for curly hair. They can help to restore moisture levels, strengthen hair, and improve manageability.
How Can I Check If My Product Is Vegan Friendly?
The process of finding out if an item is vegan friendly can be time-consuming. What should I be looking for on my packaging?
To identify vegan-certified curly hair care products, look for labels on the packaging that state “vegan,” “vegan-friendly.”
Another way to check if a product is vegan is to look for the vegan certification symbol on the product or packaging.
This certification is given by vegan organizations such as:
- Vegan Society
- Certified Vegan
- V-label (from the European Union)
- Vegan Action
- Choose Cruelty Free
- Leaping Bunny
- Double Check Vegan Tool. This tool is really cool. All you have to do is copy and paste the ingredient listing or type a single ingredient in the search bar and it will tell you if it’s vegan-friendly or not. Note – this is for ingredients only, not product names.
✓ When in doubt, contact the company and ask if their product is vegan and cruelty-free.
✓ If a product contains wax, be sure it’s palm-derived carnauba wax.
✓ Check out PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies search tool to find cruelty-free, vegan hair products.
✓ Search tools in NaturallyCurly’s Shop. Use their filter option to find cruelty-free products.
✓ When in doubt, leave it out. If you can’t find vegan-certified products or you’re not sure about an ingredient, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and choose a different product.
When it comes to vegan curly hair products, there are plenty of options available on the market. With a little bit of research, you’ll be able to find vegan products that will work well for your curly hair.
We’ve provided a list of some popular vegan curly hair products on the market. Please note, this is not an all-inclusive list.
Feel free to use the tools above to help you find vegan products that work for you.
Vegan Curly Hair Products
- As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo, Brown Coconut 8 Fl Oz
- Innersense Organic Beauty - Natural Pure Harmony Hairbath Shampoo | Non-Toxic, Cruelty-Free, Clean Haircare (10oz)
- AG Hair Natural Balance Shampoo (or) Plant based essentials , Apple Cider Vinegar, Brown, 12 Fl Oz
- Righteous Roots Clarifying Shampoo
- tgin Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo For Natural Hair - Dry Hair - Curly Hair - 13 Oz
To combat the drying effects of the sun and chlorinated water, switch to a hydrating shampoo and conditioner formula during the summer months. I love the Righteous Roots Clarifying Shampoo, which doubles as a chelating shampoo to remove build-up from hard water and the effects of the beach and pool water.
- OUIDAD Vitalcurl+ Balancing Rinse Conditioner, 33.8 Fl oz
- Innersense Organic Beauty – Natural Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner | Non-Toxic, Cruelty-Free, Clean Haircare (10oz)
- Jessicurl, Aloeba Daily Conditioner for Fine Hair
- Jessicurl, Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner for Curly or Straight Hair
- Paul Mitchell The Detangler, Original Conditioner, Super Rich Formula, For Coarse + Color-Treated Hair
- L'Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate Free Frizz-Defy Conditioner, with Marula Oil, 8.5 Fl; Oz (Packaging May Vary)
- Garnier Hair Care Fructis Pure Clean Shampoo, Conditioner, and Detangler, Made With Aloe and Vitamin E Extract, Vegan and Paraben Free, 1 Kit
- Desert Essence Fragrance Free Shampoo & Conditioner Bundle - 8 Fl Ounce - Pure - Vitamin B5 - Green Tea - Softer, Shinier & More Manageable - Aloe Vera - Unscented
- Avalon Organics Conditioner, Strengthening Peppermint, 11 Oz
- Righteous Roots 2 in 1 Conditioner
- Love Beauty And Planet Hope and Hair Repair Conditioner for Dry Hair and Split Ends Coconut Oil & Ylang Ylang Vegan Damaged Hair Treatment 32.3 oz
It's lightweight for fine hair. Aloeba Daily Conditioner uses aloe, jojoba, coconut, and avocado oils to moisturize hair without being greasy or heavy.
Righteous Roots 2-in-1 Conditioner is also a great choice for summer. This protein-free, all-natural formula contains baobab oil and glycerin to hydrate and shea butter to combat the humidity by locking the moisture into your hair.
- GIOVANNI Eco Chic Direct Leave-In Weightless Moisture Conditioner, 8.5 oz. - Wash & Go, Curls & Wavy Hair, No Parabens, Color Safe
- AG Hair Natural Coco Nut Milk Conditioning Spray, 5 Fl Oz
- TPH by Taraji Ride or Die Detangling Leave-In Conditioner – 4oz
- Carol’s Daughter Goddess Strength Divine Strength Leave In Conditioner with Castor Oil, Black Seed Oil and Ginger, for Weak, Breakage Prone Hair, Paraben Free, 10 fl oz
- Moisture Memory Reactivator, 8 fl oz (237 ml), Curlsmith
- GIRL+HAIR Natural Moisturizing & Detangling Leave-In Conditioner for Healthy, Nourished Frizz-Free Hair - Sulfate Free, Silicone Free (10.1 fl. oz.)
- Curlsmith - Hold Me Softly Style Balm - Vegan Soft Hold Styling Cream for Wavy and Curly Hair, Natural Look (8fl oz)…
- Noughty Wave Hello Curl Taming Cream for Wavy Curly Coily or Kinky Hair, Vegan 97% Natural, Sulfate Free Silicone Free Paraben Free Curl Styling Cream, Curly Hair Products, 250 ml / 8.4 fl oz
- Verb Curl Cream – Vegan Curl Styling Cream – Lightweight Leave In Curl Defining Cream – Anti-Frizz Curl Cream Provides Shape, Softness and Hold – Paraben Free, Sulfate Free Curl Styler
- Curlsmith - Curl Conditioning Oil in Cream - Vegan Leave in Conditioner for Curly and Coily Hair (8oz)
- Pacifica Beauty, Pineapple Curls Curl Defining Cream, For Curly, Coily and Textured Hair Types, Fresh Pineapple Scent, With Hyaluronic Acid + Coconut Oil, Silicone Free, 100% Vegan and Cruelty Free
- As I Am Curling Creme - 8 ounce (Classic Collection) - Lightweight Curl & Coil Definer - Hi-Definition and Shine
- Jessicurl, Rockin' Ringlets Styling Potion
- True Curl Firm Hold Defining Hair Gel, Vegan, Cruelty Free, Style and Control for Frizz-Free Curly Hair. Silicone, Sulfate and Paraben-Free, 6 Fl Oz.
- GIOVANNI L.A. Hold Styling Gel, - Extreme Hold Hair Gel with Surface Enhancers, Lightweight, Lauryl & Laureth Sulfate Free 6.8 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)
- Aussie Instant Freeze Gel Maximum Hold 7 oz ( Pack of 2)
- OUIDAD Vitalcurl+ Soft Defining Mousse, 5.7 oz
- OGX Locking + Coconut Curls Decadent Creamy Mousse, 7.9 Ounce
- Kenra Volume Mousse Extra 17 | Firm Hold Mousse | All Hair Types
- Design Essentials Curl Enhancing Mousse, Almond and Avocado Collection, 7.5 Ounces
- GIOVANNI Mousse Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Foam, 7 oz. - Lightweight for Natural Curls, Medium to Firm Hold, Wash & Go, No Parabens, Color Safe
- Innersense Organic Beauty - Natural Detox Hair Mask | Non-Toxic, Cruelty-Free, Clean Haircare (4 oz)
- Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask and Deep Conditioner By Arvazallia for Dry or Damaged Hair - 8.45 Oz
- Garnier Fructis Hair Care Smoothing Hair Mask Treatment with Avocado Extract, Vegan, Paraben and Silicone-Free, (amount)
- Pureology Hydrate Superfood Treatment Hair Mask | For Dry, Color Treated Hair | Silicone-Free | Vegan
- Maui Moisture Heal & Hydrate + Shea Butter Hair Mask & Leave-In Conditioner Treatment to Deeply Nourish Curls & Help Repair Split Ends, Vegan, Silicone, Paraben & Sulfate-Free, 12 oz
- I AM Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner, 8 Fl Oz
- AG Hair Natural Nourish Snow Mushroom Deep Conditioning Mask
- K18 Leave-In Molecular Repair Hair Mask, 4-Minute Speed Treatment, Renews Hair Damage From Color, Chemical Services Heat
- Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Hair Mask for Dry, Damaged or Color Treated Hair - Repairs Straight, Wavy and Curly Hair, 8 Ounces
This formula gives curls a deep-down hydrating fortifying treatment. The powerful penetrating conditioner is a wonderful blend of coconut, sugar cane, green tea, apple, and lemon extracts, shea butter, vitamin E, and proven hair fortifiers.
It moisturizes deep within the hair shaft and smooths and aligns the cuticles. If you need a list of protein-free deep conditioners, click here.
This is my favorite deep conditioner. It's a comprehensive hair repair treatment that may be used on dry, damaged, chemically treated, or lifeless hair.
This deep conditioning mask works in minutes to restore essential hydration and natural vibrancy to your hair. Really good stuff!
A satin pillowcase or sleep cap is a must-have to keep your curls frizz-free and to reduce breakage throughout the night. Avoid silk, which is manufactured by boiling worms alive in their own cocoons.
- ShopBedding Luxury Satin Pillowcase for Hair – Standard Satin Pillowcase with Zipper, White (Pillowcase Set of 2) – Blissford
- FocusCare Satin Lined Sleep Slouchy Cap Curly Girl Slap Headwear Gifts for Frizzy Hair Women