Do you know what the best hair dryer for curly hair is? Or, do you think that all hair dryers are the same? The answer is a resounding no! Not all hair dryers are created equal, but what makes one hair dryer better than another?
A hair dryer can be purchased for less than $20 at your local retail store or you can spend over $399 on a popular brand name. So, what gives?
With so many hair dryers out there, how do you determine which one is best for you.
We’re here to assist you with making this less complicated.
So, to help you determine the best hair dryer for curly hair, we’ve put together a list of the best ones on the market and what they offer.
But before we get into that, let’s first discuss what you should look for when buying a hair dryer.
What to Look for When Purchasing a Hair Dryer for Curly Hair
I have not straightened my hair in a long long time. I’ve almost forgotten what it’s like, but I’ve heard that it’s like a miracle or something. People with straight hair can just get up and go, but my hair is curly, frizzy, and sometimes wild.
So, I’ve become quite good at finding the best hair dryers. There are a lot of options on the market these days and it can be tricky to find the perfect one for your needs.
There is a lot to consider when purchasing a hair dryer and I know what features you should look for when purchasing one. And trust me, it’s not as easy as you might think!
The hair dryer has advanced dramatically, and while basic versions still exist, the costly (or should we say, “investment”) versions come with a plethora of features.
The best hair dryer for curly hair is the one that fits your specific needs. So, make sure to take a look at all of your options before you make your purchase.
Curls need moisture to look their best, so the best blow dryers for curly hair are those that give you control over both heat and airflow settings.
A hair dryer’s control settings make it more user-friendly, allowing you to choose the kind of drying, styling, and finish you desire.
Power or Motor Type
Power is an important consideration when purchasing any hair dryer, but it is especially important when seeking the best hair dryer for curly hair.
You want a hair dryer with enough power to quickly evaporate the water from your locks, but you don’t want one that is so powerful that it dries out your curls and leaves them looking frizzy.
For less powerful versions intended for home usage, 1000 watts may be enough, depending on your curls’ length and density.
If you want a decent hair dryer, look for something with a higher wattage of 1800 or higher. Watts are used to measure the amount of heat generated by a blow dryer.
Most professional blow dryers have wattages over 3500. If you have thick, curly hair and are searching for a professional-style hair dryer, this is the one to get.
Your hairdryer will be quieter, more powerful, and last longer if it has an AC motor.
AC motors are heavier than DC motors, which may be important to keep in mind if you need to use your hair dryer for long hours.
A hair dryer uses ceramic, tourmaline, ionic technology, porcelain, and titanium to dry hair. Some utilize a mix of two or even all three technologies and there are a few dryer brands that use infrared heating technology.
The components within your hair dryer will have an impact on its performance and noise.
The noise produced by a hair dryer is significantly reduced if ceramic technology is used along with one of the others. Ceramic hair dryers are a great low-cost option that works well and protects your hair from damage.
Tourmaline is a beneficial mineral that helps to smooth hair by sealing the cuticle and retaining moisture. To put it another way, it helps prevent frizz and lowers the likelihood of hair damage.
Water’s ions are positively charged, so an Ionic dryer releases negatively charged ions. That is the basis for why an Ionic dryer is much more successful at breaking up and dispersing water droplets on the hair shaft, preventing them from soaking in and causing frizz, as well as speeding up drying time.
Ionic Technology also makes for a quieter machine.
Porcelain is designed to distribute heat evenly. It may be applied to a dryer’s metal or plastic heating elements and other internal components to make the heat less harsh and more consistent in temperature.
Titanium is lighter-weight than ceramic and is also used to distribute heat evenly while keeping the temperature level. It tends to make for a very hot dryer and speeds up the drying process.
The different attachments that can come with hair dry are a concentrator nozzle, diffuser, brush, and comb/pick.
The concentrator nozzle is great for directing the airflow to a specific area while drying your hair. This is especially helpful when trying to dry short hair or smoothing out hair.
A diffuser helps to distribute the air more evenly while drying curly hair, which prevents frizz. Some models come with built-in diffusers, while others include them as attachments.
Tip – to minimize flyaways, point the nozzle downward as you blow-dry your hair.
A diffuser attachment is best for curly hair because the “fingers” of air it releases are gentler than a nozzle.
For individuals that are weary of brushing with one hand while blow-drying the other, a brush attachment or styler can be used.
The pick attachment looks just like the name suggests. It helps to add more volume and lift. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes. The short pick can be used for short hair and the longer pick for longer hair.
The comb attachment is used to smooth and straighten hair. I used to use it on my hair growing up, just before flatting my hair with a flat iron.
The best advice is to try different methods until you find the one that works best for your curly hair.
Heat and power controls
Look for a blow dryer with multiple settings for both heat and power. I always turn down my blow dryer’s heat and power controls when drying. This keeps the temperature at a lower setting, which is best for my hair.
We don’t all need to blow dry our hair on high heat and high power so, if you’re looking to remove most of the moisture from your hair, try using the medium setting. Once your hair is about 90% dry, use the lower setting to finish it or air dry it the rest of the way.
Bonus: A cool shot button will help you lock in your hairstyle after styling it with hot air.
The quietest hair dryers include Tourmaline and Ceramic technology, as well as additional fan blades and anti-vibration product design.
If you’re always using a hair dryer, prolonged usage may damage your hearing. Hearing loss can be caused by continuous or routine exposure to noise over 85 decibels. Using a quieter hair dryer will help you preserve your hearing.
When shopping for hair dryers, you’ll generally want to consider five noise levels.
The following are the various levels:
- Low – 0 to 30 decibels. This is the softest level of noise and is typically the sound of a whisper.
- Moderate – 31 to 60 decibels. This is typically the sound of a normal conversation.
- Loud – 61 – 90 decibels. This range is the typical sound of a blender or blow dryer.
- Very Loud – 91 – 100 decibels. This sound will start to get annoying after a while and can cause hearing damage if sustained for a long period of time. It is typically the sound of a lawnmower or a subway train.
- Extremely Loud – greater than 101 decibels. This is the sound of a jet plane taking off or an explosion, music concert.
The best hair dryers for curly hair can be expensive, but there are some affordable models available. We’ll share our top picks further down the article.
A hair dryer is one of the most essential beauty products, and while there are always exceptions, you can feel good about spending more on one.
If you ask a professional stylist, they will tell you that a good hair dryer is worth the investment.
To put it another way, you can anticipate a hair dryer that you paid $100+ for and it might last up to 10 years, while one you paid $20 for may burn out after one or two years.
Now let’s get down to the nitty gritty.
Here’s a quick reference guide to the best hair dryers, including their features, to help you choose the best one for you.
The Best Hair Dryers for Curly Hair
It is best to do your research and read the reviews before making a purchase. Find the perfect hair dryer for your personal needs and budget.
- This Blow-Dryer features an ultra-powerful 1875 watt motor and Ionic Technology to provide a shiny blowout with less frizz in 20% less time than most professional dryers.
- Lightweight design and professional length power cord (9 ft.) allow for comfortable styling.
- Ionic Technology: Negative ion generator blows billions of negative ions into hair to seal the cuticle and reduce frizz while drying. Three heat and two power settings allow for the perfect customized blowout
- Includes two concentrator nozzles for customized airflow
- Air temperature is measured 20 times every second, keeping the temperature under control.
- Ultra-fast drying.
- Magnetic attachments Dyson smoothing nozzle, styling concentrator, and diffuser.
- Lightweight and balanced.
- Cool to touch.
- Negative ions help reduce static.
- 4 precise heat settings fast drying & styling, regular drying, gentle drying, and constant cold.
- Decibel at 79.
- It is a bit pricey!
- Dry your hair in less than half the time. This hair dryer is equipped with an extremely quiet AC motor.
- 1875 watts of drying power.
- Ionic Technology.
- Infrared heat, which dries the hair from the inside out. This differs from the usual heating of most hair dryers, which merely heats the surface of the hair, causing it to become dry and damaged.
- Built to withstand the demands of professional salons.
- Includes diffuser and two concentration nozzles.
- 1875-watt AC Motor.
- It ensures lower noise than others and vibration.
- 2 Speeds, 3 Heat Settings.
- Infrared Heat and Negative Ion Technology.
- Includes two attachments – Airflow Concentrator and Diffuser.
- 6-foot cord made of heat-proof material.
- 49 decibels of noise (sound of a refrigerator) – maybe the quietest hair dryer ever!
- 1200 watt motor with Ionic Technology.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Has a folding handle that makes it easy to carry or travel.
- No attachments included.
- 1875 Watts. EH-NA65-K dries hair quickly and gently.
- 3 hair blow dryer attachments – Airflow concentrator, dual airflow nozzle, and diffuser.
- Has Ionic Nanoe Technology, which draws moisture from the air and creates ultra-fine ionic particles that permeate each hair strand.
- Customize Your Settings: 2 hairdryer speed settings and 3 heat settings.
- Cool shot button.
- The HyperAIR IQ Technology combines high-velocity heated air and ionized air for ultra-fast drying.
- Intelligent heat control measures outlet heat up to 1,000 times per second, ensuring consistent temperature and air distribution for quick even drying.
- Negative ion generator, which means it increases smoothness and shine while decreasing frizz and flyaways vs. air drying.
- Cool shot button.
- Adjustable heat and airflow settings.
- Comes with Airflow Concentrator and Diffuser (deep bowl).
- Constant temperature control function that prevents overheating damage.
- 360° rotatable magnetic molding nozzles; overheat protection and power-off memory function.
- The power cord is 75 inches.
- 1400W AC Motor.
- Very lightweight at 3/4 pounds.
- 3 hair dryer accessories for different hairstyles (as shown in the photo).
- Negative ion function that can eject 20 million negative ions to protect hair from heat damage, prevent excessive dryness caused by high temperatures and maintain the natural moisture in hair.
- 5 drying modes.
Best Hooded Dryers
- 1875 Watts.
- 2 heat/speed settings.
- This bonnet dryer dries hair quickly, gently, and evenly with uniform heat.
- Extra large hood with fully adjustable height. It’s perfect for roller sets and deep conditioning sessions.
- Compact Storage: The bonnet hair dryer’s compact design allows for simple storage and convenient transportation. It has a handy carrying handle for easy mobility.
- I own this one and have had it for years! Still going strong. I also like to use this for deep conditioning treatments.
- It has a stainless steel heating element for long-lasting durability and optimal performance.
- Perfect for home use or professional salons.
- Highly versatile bonnet with adjustable height (48″ to 63″) and swivel base to provide users with the most comfortable hair drying position.
- Timed drying from 0 to 60 minutes.
- Temperature is adjustable from room temperature to 158ºF.
- Low noise.
- It is available as a stand-alone atop caster wheels to effortlessly glide throughout the room.
- Equipped with an adjustable drawstring and a chin strap to fit different heads of hair.
- Perfect to use with rollers, clips, flexi-rods, or curl-formers.
- Comes with a flexible long and broad hose with an adjustable velcro strap.
- Comes with a convenient accessory and you will get a complimentary towel-texture heat protection headband that covers the neck, ears, and forehead to prevent any heat issues.
- Perfect for traveling.
- Waterproof material.
- Easy to hand wash.
- Ion technology helps fight frizz and helps maintain healthy-looking hair full of shine.
- temperature settings (Cool, low, medium, and high)
- 800 Watts.
- The soft bonnet cap fits rollers of all sizes and features jumbo-sized drawstrings for easy maneuvering and adjusting.
- This is the perfect travel companion because it includes a built-in compartment that can house the bonnet, the cord, and retractable hose.
- Very quiet at 1000 watts.
- Hood has a 12″ diameter and can be raised an additional 8″ for those who are tall.
- 12″W x 6.5″D x 25″H + 4″ wheels kit addition
- The included free wheel and handle kit can be used with your current chair.
- 60-minute auto-shutoff timer with adjustable temperature from 32° to 162° F.
- 1875W tourmaline ionic dryer with an On/Off ionic generator switch.
- 3 temperature settings; cool, low heat, high heat.
- Airflow vent adjustment control.
- Removable airflow vent and a filterable air intake grill.
- This hair dryer turns off when lifting the shield, saving energy and preventing accidents when the hair dryer bonnet is not in use.
- Large adjustable hair dryer hood can easily fit even large hair rollers.
- Height-adjustable tube with clips for 9 ft cord.
- This versatile 55-inch hood dryer allows you to sit comfortably during hair drying and is easy to move on a roll-about base with wheel locks.
Best Hair Dryer for Under $50
A good blow dryer doesn’t have to be expensive. If you shop around at your local retail store, you may find a decent hair dryer that has most of these features.
Professional hair dryers are designed to dry the hair of a large number of people each day. You’ll be able to get a lot of usage out of it before you have to replace it, so it will last you a long time.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money on a hair dryer that isn’t in your budget, just make sure to get one that has a few of the features mentioned above.
Here are a few good hair dryers that are available for under $50:
- Mounts to the wall and includes a night light.
- 1600 watts.
- Compact and lightweight; It’s perfect for any size bathroom.
- The dryer shuts off automatically when placed in the wall mount.
- Features 2 heat/speed settings.
- 6-foot coil cord and removable filter for easy maintenance.
- 1875 Watts with Infrared technology.
- Ionic Hair Dryer: Features ceramic technology plus frizz-fighting conditioning ions for less damage and more shine.
- It’s ergonomic.
- Cold Shot button.
- Includes 3 heat/2 speed custom dryer settings.
- 1875 watts
- Less noise
- Negative Ion Tourmaline function.
- 3 Heat/ 2 Speeds settings.
- Cool shot button.
- Ergonomic design to make it more comfortable to hold, agile to operate.
- 2 attachments included – Diffuser and Concentrator.
- If you’re looking for a Dyson dupe, this may be it.
- 1800 watts
- Quiet and powerful.
- Compact and lightweight.
- It will not take up much room at home or when traveling.
- It comes with 3 heat settings controlled by a slide switch located on the back of the handle and a 2-speed button on the front of the handle.
- It does not have a cool shot button.
- Comes complete with 3 attachments; a diffuser and 2 styles of concentrator, one with a comb to help with creative styling.
- The filter prevents hair from being drawn into the machine.
- No ergonometric design, which means it may make it difficult to handle for some.
- Negative ion technology.
- Constant temperature technology for even heat distribution.
- Pearl Ceramic Technology
- Professional Motor
- 3 Heat, 2 Speed Settings, Cool Shot.
- 1875 Watts
- Comes with a diffuser attachment.
- 1875 Watts
- Infrared heat technology for maximum shine, softness, and control.
- Tourmaline ionic technology.
- 2 Heat / 2-speed settings and cool shot button for maximum control.
- Concentrator and diffuser attachments included and Bonus 3 Hair sectioning clips included.
- 2 Speeds and 3 Heat Settings and cool shot button.
- 8.2 ft cord length.
- AlCI safety plug.
- Removable air filter and it is ETL certified.
- Comes with attachments – Concentrator & Diffuser.
- Advanced Ionic technology.
- The blow dryer diffuser has a handle fit to rest comfortably in your hands. It has an ergonomic handle for comfort.
- The rear filter is removable and cleanable and it is also very easy to install after removal.
Here are some of the questions that come up when people are considering buying a new hair dryer.
Does a good blow dryer make a difference?
A good hair dryer can make a significant difference. It may be expensive, but it will last you a long time if you care for it.
Are quiet hair dryers as good as loud hair dryers?
Yes, because they are produced in the same way. However, because of the power they generate, they may take longer to dry.
Although an 800 watt hair dryer is quieter than a 2000 watt hair dryer, it will lack the power to dry hair as quickly.
Do I need a hair dryer with ionic technology?
No, but it can be beneficial. Ionic technology helps to reduce frizz and static.
Do I need a hair dryer with a diffuser?
No, but it can be beneficial. A diffuser helps to distribute the air evenly so your hair is not blown around too much.
What is the best type of hair dryer for my hair type?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. You can read the online reviews to see what other people are saying about them.
Do I need a retractable cord on my hair dryer?
No, but it can be helpful. A retractable cord helps to keep your cords tidy and organized. It also prevents them from becoming tangled.
Is it better to buy a hair dryer with a warranty?
Yes, because a warranty also gives you peace of mind, knowing that you are covered if anything happens.
What is the difference between a salon-quality hair dryer and a regular hair dryer?
Hair dryers with higher-quality attachments and more heat and speed settings are typically more expensive, but can help you achieve different hairstyles.
These attachments may be included with a cheaper hair dryer, although they are more likely to be of lesser quality than the expensive ones.
For example, the cheaper hair dryers may come with plastic diffusers that can pop off or break easily, while the Dyson hair dryer comes with magnetic attachments. which will likely not break easily or pop off.
Higher prices usually come with a longer life cycle, not just because they are constructed of quality materials but also because they generally come with warranties in case something happens. Also, most of the expensive hair dryers are equipped with better technology.
There is no difference as they are produced in the same way. A salon-quality hair dryer may have a longer warranty period and more features.
What hair dryers do hairstylists use?
Some hair dryers that professional hairstylists use are:
- Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer
- Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer
- T3 Cura Luxe
- Elchim 3900 Healthy Ionic Dryer
- Panasonic EH-NA65
- Parlux 3200
- Remington Proluxe